God's grace through the eyes of a mommy.

Its been a while since I've blogged.. Im a little rusty, but miss it! Bear with me.

Today, I had this brilliant idea to take my children on a walk. It's been quite chilly for some time and I was itching to get them outside. The sun was shining, there was a nice breeze... I needed it as well! There is something about getting outside on a beautiful day that just makes me feel like a better mom. My son wanted to take his scooter and though I warned him that he may not want to ride it the whole time... he insisted. My daughter wanted to be pushed in the stroller, which I was totally fine with. I had a feeling that this would turn into a bad idea, but I decided to allow them to have as they wished. We put on appropriate clothes, sunglasses, hats, Farrah wanted stickers on her shirt... I let them do as they wished, again. It started out great. We made it down to the little playground and pond area quickly. We played and had a good time, then it was time to head back...

They always like to cross over a little bridge, and even though its usually a challenge getting them past it and the gravel path after... again, I let them do as they wished. Before I knew it we had filled the stroller up with sticks, acorns, leaves and other things that they wanted to bring back home. This left Farrah with no where to sit, and she had to walk. By the time we started our .25 of a mile walk back home Farrah was already crying to push the stroller, and Emerson was now over his scooter and wanted me to carry it. The remainder of our walk back home was filled with frustration...
1.Farrah couldn't see over the stroller, therefor she was running into obstacles that she couldn't see were in her path, and boy would that frustrate her. I tried to place my hand on one handle to help steady it.. but of course, she did NOT want my help.
2. Emerson was complaining and now walking along side of the scooter... which I continued to make him get back on and explain to him that it was his choice to bring it with us. I wasn't going to let him take the easy way, he needs to learn the repercussions of his choices!
3. Farrah was too worried/entertained about the obstacles that were in her path and kept looking back at them, causing her to unintentionally steer off the path and into or through things that made it harder for her to push the stroller. Not only that, but the items they had picked up along the way were falling out of the stroller. 
4. Emerson got frustrated and ended up turning a corner and high tailed it home... causing me to grab the stroller and walk quickly back home (all while yelling for him).... and Farrah screamed and cried the rest of the way home, running behind me. 

The whole time I could not help but to laugh thinking about how Jesus must feel when I myself want to "go on a walk".  Its funny how we get SO much insight on our relationship with Jesus as we interact, love, and raise our own children. Here is what He showed me on this beautiful day....
1. How many times have we come to an obstacle that we feel the need to manage. Its so big that we can hardly see over, like Farrah and the stroller, yet we try so hard just to handle it on our own. We do not see problems that lie ahead, problems that can really cause chaos in our lives! We try to push on and control in our own strength. But Jesus is there the whole time, ready to lend a hand and take control of it so that we can easily make it through, avoiding all that could go wrong in our own power. Ask him to lead you! Seek Him, trust Him.. you do not need to take on ANYTHING alone.


Proverbs 16:9

A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.

2. Ever find yourself complaining about something that you thought would make life more fun or easier? You found that it was good in the beginning and ended up being a burden or wrong choice in the long run? Maybe a situation, financial choice, relationship, words that you spoke? Even though you may have felt conviction or had a "bad feeling"... shoot maybe even the Holy Spirit warned you... you didn't care! You let those fleshly desires get in the way and did as you pleased. Well, even though you pray and trust God we are instructed to use wisdom. If we make a wrong choice, we have to live with that. He is always there watching (just as I was for my son) but he is going to teach you in that. He is going to make sure you remember NOT to make that mistake again. Next time, I bet Emerson won't even ASK to take that scooter. Haha!
Psalm 32:8
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

3. Fear. How many of us live in fear? I know I do! You think you need to watch your own back. Ladies and gentlemen, let me tell ya... Jesus is there, just as I was right behind my daughter. She didn't need to look back, she needed to focus on the path she was on. Each time she would look back she would unintentionally steer off of that path and right into harms way -  the busy street! Don't you see yourself in that! Your so caught up in past mistakes or past hurt, that we let that get in the way of where we need to be. It may even cause you to go off path so far that you enter the enemy's territory where the unmentionable can happen. That is not where you want to be! I kept telling Farrah "Go, baby! Don't worry about that. Now your over there pushing through the grass that is SO much harder to push through! Come back over here with me!". It's so much easier to push through things under God's grace, and on His path for you...even if we are pushing through an obstacle (like Farrah's stroller was to her, just the stroller itself was a challenge). In that we lost things (remember the sticks and acorns?) that the kids had worked so hard to collect. When we leave our path that God has paved for us, we can lose things; friends, jobs, financial stability, trust... whatever it is for you. Now, we can get them back but if we don't get back on that path WITH HIM, its going to continue to be a struggle. 


Proverbs 3:5

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

4. Now this isn't to say that our Lord is going to leave one person to tend to another.. but what He will do is FIND you. You may get frustrated and run, but he is going to unconditionally love you and will not let you get too far away from his sight. You can't do that! Think of the bad things that could have happened to my precious boy with ALL the evil in this world! Stay near to him, even when your faith is tested.



Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path


Its funny how much this little walk taught me today. It was literally one thing after another! I wasn't even quite sure that I would remember it all. God's love is overwhelming and I am amazed at how He teaches me things in every situation. I'm so grateful that my Father in Heaven is patient with me. I know how easily I lose my patience with my own children, I'm thankful that today... today I learned some valuable lessons instead of crying along with Farrah the rest of the way home.... 'cause Lord knows there are times that I do! I urge you to try and see what God is trying to teach you in times where you feel like you want to cry! Because, believe me, He is trying!

Much love and many blessings!

Comments